Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Mildly Spoilery Review: Clockwork Princess (Infernal Devices 3) by Cassandra Clare

Synopsis:

Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?

Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.

A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.

Details:

Published March 19th 2013 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

The Elliott Review: (more like story of my experience - mildish spoilers???)

This book. This book. This. Book. I am among the most rabid Cassandra Clare fans that you will find. And with Clockwork Prince's amazingness, I decided that it was actually possible that I liked this prequel trilogy better than the Mortal Instruments, though that love is pretty dang strong. I have STRONG Team Jem leanings, though Clockwork Prince determined that I do, in fact, love Will as well.

I wanted to buy the ebook because it is cheaper, but I decided that my emotions may be running high and that I may or may not have a desire to express my emotions through interactions with the physical copy of the book. You know, slamming it closed, throwing it, whatever. About halfway through, I found the genealogy in the inside of the dust jacket... So I threw the book. It didn't help. People told me to keep reading, so I did - REALLY fast. I was emotionally all over the place. I really think that this book is an amazing work of genius for all that it made me hate it (and Cassandra Clare) at certain points. 

I don't think that any book has shattered me as much as Clockwork Princess. The whole time I was reading it, I was filled with such a sense of despair and awe mixed together. It took a lot of emotions to finish the book, but I'm glad I did because now I know that I love it. For all that Cassandra Clare is EVIL, she is also genius. Her sense of character and plot slay me. This could not have been written more perfectly. It's a heart-wrenching story that is supposed to be heart-wrenching. It has satisfying elements for both Team Jem and Team Will camps and, at the same time, gut-wrenching despair for both!

It's been a week since I've read the book, and I'm just now able to really coherently put sentences together about it. I need to go back and read it slowly and savor all those moments, but but I'm still not sure I am ready for that. As I said before, it has been a while since I have read a book that has made me feel ACTUALLY depressed for the span of time I was reading it until I finished and realized it was made of such bittersweet sorrow.

So, yeah. I love this book. And I hate it. But I really actually just love it.

Source: Purchased 

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book!! I think Cassie Clare is one of the few authors who has ever managed to get a love triangle perfect and make sure both Teams were happy yet heartbroken at the end. It was a masterpiece and I get so many feelings just remembering it!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!This is an amazing cover and I agree this is the best Cassandra Clare cover EVER!!! In love!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...